Pages


Saturday 23 July 2011

Where Copa America Went Wrong For Brazil And Argentina

In a largely disappointing Copa America for the 'Big Teams' I believe the standard of play from Argentina and Brazil were stand out as the worst performances. Argentina, the host nation and holders of the joint most Copa America trophies in the competition's history. Brazil, holders of four of the last five Copa America tournaments.


Argentina Team Vs Uruguay

In my eyes there were quite a few frailties within this Argentinian team. The first I saw was Angel Di Maria being given a central midfield role and the role to be the spark in midfield. He failed miserably and came in and out of the Uruguayan game like a Jack in the Box. Di Maria is a player who needs to be given a less influential role but a role which allows him to set up and score goals (e.g the Aguero position). Javier Pastore, although I have not seen too much of the player would have been a better option for the central role as he is the 'spark' which was necessary within the hard working and tough midfield. The second frailty I witnessed was the exclusion of the direct runner and good dribbler Ezequiel Lavezzi. Uruguay had set up in an odd 4-4-1-1 system, leaving them slightly open down the flanks. Argentina did not exploit this and lined up with a team that is best against defences which lie deep, Uruguay pushed up which for me would have left a space in behind for Lavezzi to use his pace and dribbling talent.

The Team I would have fielded Vs Uruguay





The Brazil Team Vs Paraguay
In my opinion there were three main frailties within this team. I believe the midfielders inability to hold the ball was a flaw in this team. The two who were to blame in this department for me were Ganso and Ramires. Ramires was in particular the one I would blame. Anderson would have been more suited to play in the position Ramires played. Retaining the samba way with a work ethic to back it up Anderson is something Ramires is not and that is a quality player. The exclusion of Kaka in my eyes was also poor on Mano Menezes' part. Ganso was not what he had been hyped to be and let down the nation in the tournament. Although he is in slight decline I still believe Kaka's passing and dribbling capabilities are something to behold with a football eye only the world's greats have. The second mistake was the exclusion of Hulk completely from the squad. Robinho did not have his best tournament at Copa America but I believe he was correct in starting it was just the lack of an option upon the bench when Robinho went wrong was so telling and Brazil were left with the good but not world class Jadson. The third problem I saw was the lack of a goal machine. For the past few years Brazil have always had great goalscorers, my two main examples Ronaldo and Luis Fabiano, but in this years Copa America they were left with the classy and great to watch but wasteful Alexandre Pato. In the group stage Fred was needed to save the blushes of defeat vs Paraguay in the group stage. Pato never showed his class and didn't do himself justice in this tournament even though he scored a brace vs Ecuador. Luis Fabiano was worth an inclusion in the setup but not in the Starting 11 I believe due to this lack of goals.
The Team I would Have Fielded For the Tournament

0 comments:

Post a Comment